Adult social care

Welcome to local information and advice for your adult social care needs in North East Lincolnshire

Here you will find all the information to support you on your journey.

Help yourself online

To understand what social care help you might need, and what could be available to you, you can complete an online self-assessment.
At the end of the self-assessment, you can ask for a follow up assessment if you think you need it.

Do the self-assessment now

You can also find lots more information on these pages to help you.

Get help from a professional

If you need to talk to someone, there is one number to ring for services in North East Lincolnshire (NEL) 01472 256256. Services include:

  • Adult Social Care
  • Wellbeing Advice
  • GP Out of Hours
  • Mental Health Services

Focus independent adult social work deliver statutory social services, including the operational safeguarding responsibilities for adults locally.

Single point of access banner. One telephone number you need to keep to hand, 01472 256256. GP out of hours, mental health services, social work support, adult social care, wellbeing advice

Adult social care menu

Contact us for help

Help with daily living and staying independent

Your care and support journey and care options

Money matters, including paying for your care

Useful websites

For professionals

24 hour support

The adult social care self-assessment is always available. Use this to find out whether or not you’re likely to be eligible for support and get recommendations about where to get help. You can also get recommendations to help you stay independent.

The advice you get at the end of the self-assessment might mean that you don’t want or need any more help. If you want more help, you have two options –

  1. At the end of the self-assessment, you can ask for a follow-up assessment. The self-assessment will prompt you to register and submit your information to the Single Point of Access (SPA). Someone from the SPA will give you a call.
  2. You can ring the SPA direct. If you need to talk to someone, you can call the Single Point of Access (SPA) on 01472 256256. The SPA has a range of health and social care professionals who can advise you.

Do the self-assessment now

Silverline 0800 470 8090 is a free, confidential telephone helpline offering information, friendship and advice to older people, available 24 hours a day.

The Care Act (2014)

We have created the Care Act (2014) page that explains how the law supports people who have adult social care needs. This Care Act page and you can find more information with an easy read guide.

Reading this may help you understand your legal rights. however there is lots of support and advice available from many agencies – see our specialist advice section below.

The Mental Capacity Act 2005

We have created Mental Capacity Act pages that explain how health and care staff work with people who may not be able to make their own health and care decisions. The law that guides us in working with people who may not be able to make these decisions is the Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA), which you can view on

We have also created pages to explain the Court of Protection and Deprivation of Liberty.

Social care handbook

The Social care handbook is available to guide you through adult social care in NEL.

  • Focus and your journey
  • Your assessment
  • Care providers and services (including supported living scheme; people with learning/physical disability, autism, mental health and extra care housing; housing with care for Older People)
  • Finances, benefits and property
  • Hospital discharges
  • Reporting neglect or abuse

Support with daily living

We want to support people to live as independently and as safely as possible.

  • SPA is a local service, a team of health and social care professionals can offer advice, information and access to support for you or someone that you care for. The service can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Provider portal for your Care Options which helps you decide where you live
  • Support for Carers is available from North East Lincolnshire’s Carers’ Support Service and our local Carer’s portal
  • Advice and support for living well with dementia can be found on our Dementia portal
  • Access local and national information to support you with a sensory loss
  • Age UK advice line 0800 055 6112 free to call 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, 365 days a year
  • Discover our local assisted living extra care housing offers
  • Sheltered housing is accommodation specifically designed for older people and younger disabled people to allow you to live independently
  • Access local adult health care services including find your GP, Dentist and Optician and sexual health advice
  • Use the TrustMark tool to find tradespeople. Search for reputable organisations and reliable tradespeople using your postcode

Helping you to stay independent

  • Assisted living centre – helping people live independently in their own home. Provides information on a range of aids to daily living and adaptations and a demonstration centre. Following specialist advice, appropriate aids for daily living can be self purchased. For those who meet the criteria equipment can be loaned or adaptations fitted to meet need
  • Telecare services can help you stay safe and remain more independent in your own home, Carelink offers reassurance
  • Travel and public transport advice and non emergency patient transport information
  • If you would like an Occupational Therapy Assessment, please contact the SPA
  • Learning disability and autism information is available on the NHS website

Your care and support journey

  • Your care and support journey – Details of your Adult Social Care Assessment journey, whether you would like to complete a self-assessment or get support from our team.
  • Your Self-Assessment – Complete your own self-assessment.
  • How assessments are carried out – An adult social care assessment starts with a conversation with you about what your strengths are and what you might need help with.
  • How do we decide on your assessed needs? – Eligibility criteria and information about how decisions are made.
  • What is an Adult Social Care Assessment? – An adult social care assessment is available to anyone over the age of 18 who might need care and support. If you want to get in touch with us about an adult social care assessment, please call the Single point of Access on 01472 256256
  • How we complete your care and support plan – Once your adult social care assessment is finished, you and the worker who assessed you will write a care and support plan together. The plan will set out the care and support you are assessed as needing. Your plan will include your goals (outcomes), and how you will achieve them. The plan will also tell you what your personal budget is and how it will be spent to meet your goals.
  • Care Options – General information on care options, including care homes, domiciliary care and supported living.
  • Paying for your care – Most people need to contribute to the cost of their adult social care.  We work out what you can afford to contribute as part of a financial assessment. This section also includes further information on financial assessments, care costs and information on direct payments.
  • Deferred payment agreements – A deferred payment agreement is an agreement between the Council and a person whose needs are being met in a care home. A deferred payment agreement means that the costs of a person’s care home are delayed until an agreed time in the future. The costs are deferred (delayed), but they are not ‘written off’. The costs must still be paid at a later date. This section explains more about having a deferred payment agreement.
  • Preparing for adulthood – If you are a young person preparing for adulthood who will need help from adult services, or you are the parent or carer of a young person preparing for adulthood, please read about Preparing for Adulthood on our SEND Local Offer.

NHS continuing healthcare

Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare. For support and guidance go to Continuing healthcare, which includes information on:

  • What is continuing healthcare?
  • How do I get continuing healthcare in North East Lincolnshire?
  • How is eligibility for continuing healthcare decided?
  • What if I need continuing healthcare quickly?
  • How does continuing healthcare planning work?
  • Can I have a personal health budget to help me manage my continuing healthcare?
  • How can I get help if I’m a carer of someone who has continuing healthcare?
  • How does continuing healthcare work for young people preparing for adulthood?

Specialist advice

  • Age UK deliver local advice and support 01472 344976, advice line 0800 678 1602 or email
  • Friendship at Home befriending and supporting older people 01472 602500 or email
  • Healthwatch North East Lincolnshire independent consumer champion for health and social care created to gather and represent the views of the public
  • NAViGO provide support workers to keep you well and independent in the comfort of your own home 01472 808543
  • Wellbeing service 01472 325500 if you live in North East Lincolnshire and want support with your wellbeing the team are available to help you make a change

Social activities

  • Age UK 01472 344976 find out about activities and events taking place locally and afternoon/day trips
  • Community Spotlight a ‘one stop shop’ for communities to share events, groups, clubs and good work being done in our area
  • Friendship at Home provide a range of exercise and social activities 01472 602500 or email
  • Lincs Inspire 01472 323615 provide a wide range of sporting, leisure, cultural and learning services to help you lead a more active and healthy life
  • Simply Connect North East Lincs connecting you to your local community for healthy living, social groups, activities, advice, support and self-help

Work, money, legal and benefits

Focus’s finances, benefits and property information can be accessed in their social care handbook

Useful websites

If you have any queries, complaints, or compliments around the adult social care services or pathways in NEL please let us know by emailing or telephone 01482 957750.

Back to top

Page last updated: 22 May 2024