Adult health

Local information and advice about how to access health services and support in North East Lincolnshire

Page contents

GP Surgeries and out of hours

You can use the NHS directory of services to find a GP surgery.

There is a GP Out of Hours service but this can only be accessed by calling the Single Point of Access number 01472 256 256.

Due to Covid-19, the GP Out of Hours service has been temporarily relocated to:

Cromwell Primary Care Centre, Cromwell Road, Grimsby, DN31 2BH

Alternatively, you can access NHS 111 online or by calling 111 free from any landline or mobile phone.

If it is an emergency, you should dial 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Dental Surgeries and Emergency Dentist

You can use the NHS directory of services to find a dentist .

The Community Dental Service provides dental treatment for people who cannot use or have difficulty accessing general dental services.

You can find information for emergency and out of hours dentists from NHS 111 online or by calling 111 free from any landline or mobile phone.

Drug and alcohol support

If you are worried about your drug and alcohol use, or the drug and alcohol use of someone else that you know, you can access support from With You North East Lincolnshire and the Grimsby Practices in Partnership.

Those in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction can also join an abstinence based recovery programme.

Specialist support is available from North East Lincolnshire’s Carers’ Support Service if you are caring for someone with a substance misuse problem.

Mental health

If you are in need of immediate help you can contact the Single Point of Access (01472 256256 – option 3). The service can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can find more information on our healthy minds page.

In North East Lincolnshire, mental health services and support are provided by:

Information and support is also available from national charities:


Sometimes it can feel like decisions about your mental health and wellbeing are made without including you in the decision-making process. An advocate helps you express your wants and wishes and stand up for your rights.

Advocacy can be accessed from Cloverleaf Advocacy

Supported living and residential care for mental health

Eden Futures is a provider who can help with supported living in the community.

There are also a number of residential care homes for people who need support with their mental health. See the Provider Portal.


You can use the NHS directory of services to find an optician.

A Mobile optician can also see you in your home. 

Chiropodists and Podiatrists

A podiatrist (chiropodist) can help you with common foot problems, including ingrown toenails and bunions. Information about podiatry and how it can help you is available on the NHS website.

Foot care services (including toenail cutting) are available locally from a variety of providers, including:

Age UK

Achilles Centre Grimsby

Community podiatry

Foresight Foot Care Service

Long-term healthcare support (continuing healthcare)

Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare. Information about eligibility for continuing healthcare can be found on the NHS website .

If you are eligible, you can receive NHS continuing healthcare in any setting, for example:

NHS-funded nursing care

NHS-funded nursing care is when the NHS pays for the nursing care component of nursing home fees. Information about eligibility for NHS funded nursing care is available on the NHS website .

Age UK and the Department of Health and Social Care have produced factsheets about NHS continuing healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care.

Personal Health Budgets

From October 2014 anyone eligible for Continuing Healthcare wanting to have their care provided outside of a care home setting will be able to apply for a Personal Health Budget.  This is money paid in the form of a direct payment to pay for Continuing Healthcare eligible needs.  Personal Health Budgets give you greater choice and flexibility and control about who provides your care and support and how it is delivered. A Personal Health Care Budget can be discussed in detail with the Nurse Assessor responsible for your assessment. More information about Personal Health Budgets is available on the NHS website .

What if I need equipment or support to recover at home?

The Assisted Living Centre provides information and advice for people who require equipment and support at home to be able to maintain their independence. You can get advice on a range of equipment and adaptations at the centre.

There are a range of shops locally which sell mobility aids, including:

If you would like an Occupational Therapy Assessment, please contact the Single Point of Access on 01472 256 256.

Falls, rehabilitation and respiratory service

A Specialist Falls Prevention Service is available. For more information about the service, see Care Plus Group’s website .

The HOPE Respiratory Service helps people manage their chronic respiratory conditions. For more information about accessing the service, see Care Plus Group’s website.


If you are already under the care of a District Nurse then you should speak to your district nursing team about being referred to the Continence Team for an assessment. If you are not under the care of a District Nurse then you can contact the Continence Team for advice directly on 01472 256702, or discuss with your GP. The continence team will offer advice and arrange an appointment at the continence clinic if relevant. The Continence Team aim to improve, not cure.

The Bladder & Bowel Community provides information and advice on a range of symptoms and conditions related to the bladder and bowel, and also issue a ‘Just can’t wait toilet card ’ for discrete communication.

There are lots of different types of continence aids and protection. These can be purchased privately from several places, including:

If you require a commode, please speak to your District Nurse or GP Surgery. Alternatively you can purchase one privately.

If you have problems emptying a commode, Commode Liners may help – they are sealable commode liners that fit over any commode bucket or potty to make disposing of waste easier.

Back to top

Page last reviewed: March 02, 2022