Help is here
You are not alone – here you can find out what help is out there when you need it.
Are you a young person under 18 who looks after or helps to look after a parent, family member, sibling, friend or neighbour because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction? If you do, and if this person couldn’t cope without your support, you are a Young Carer.
A Carer is anyone, child or adult, who looks after one or more family members, partners or friends who needs help and couldn’t manage without the Carer. The care given by the Carer is unpaid or informal.
Get the latest NHS information and advice about coronavirus (COVID 19).
Supporting you as a Young Carer
In North East Lincolnshire (NEL) the following are here to work with and support you in your caring role:
There is help available from teachers and other school staff, teachers are there to help pupils get the most out of school. You can speak to somebody at school, a teacher or a member of your pastoral team if you need support.
- The Young Carers Project 01472 323231 or 326294 option 3 then option 2
- Young Minds Matter 01472 252570
- Family hubs family hubs bring together services to offer help and support to young people and their families
- The Carers’ Support Service 01472 242277
- Single point of access (SPA) 01472 256256 option 3 – is for mental health, you will speak to a trained mental health advisor who will be able to provide you with advice and information to support you, including access to crisis response services
The Young Carers Project is based at the Carers’ Support Service and works with both Young Carers and their families. The service seeks to reduce the caring role by involving other relevant services and enabling the family to find better solutions. Where caring continues, the service aims to reduce the impact of caring on young people by providing:
- The opportunity to have a Young Carer’s Assessment
- Information and advice
- Informal advocacy
- One to one and family support
- Group support
- Time out from the caring role, including a range of activities and events
The Carer’s Support Service can provide Young Carers with information and advice about useful resources and help connect them with other local support services. The Carers’ Support Service works closely with the North East Lincolnshire Young Carers project and can make a referral into the project on a Young Carer’s behalf.
Young adult Carers aged 18+ can also access specialist advice services through the Carers’ Support Service for information on benefits that they may be eligible for, such as employment support allowance, and support them to apply.
The Carers’ Support Service and the Young Carers project work within education settings to raise awareness, identification and support of Young Carers, as Young Carers are often a hidden carer group.
Family hubs 01472 326292 option 1 have trained staff who can provide early help support to families experiencing parental substance misuse.
Be scam aware
- The Young Carers Project 01472 323231 or 326294 option 3 then option 2 can give you advice
- There is advice available about scams from The Carers’ Support Service 01472 242277, 1 Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HY
- North East Lincolnshire Council COVID-19 fraud and scams information for local people
- Talk to the person you care for so they are aware of fraud and scams and how to avoid them. Find tips, tools and fraud prevention guidance from Citizens Advice North East Lincolnshire
- You can report fraud with Crime Stoppers
Speak to other Carers online
There are many people who, like you, care for others sharing their stories and offering support online. You don’t have to join in conversations, but it might help to see what other people are sharing.
- School nursing the service is available to young people and their families. They work with GP practices, schools, family hubs and various other professionals to meet identified needs and provide the best possible care
- North East Lincs (Compass GO…) mental health support team
- Kooth online mental wellbeing community with access to free, safe and anonymous support
- YoungMinds mental health support for young people
- Barnardos children’s charity that protects and supports young people
- Carers Trust charity for, with and about Carers
- Carers UK expert advice, information and support
- The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) children’s charity, specialising in child protection and dedicated to protecting children
- Relate Hull & East Yorkshire provide relationship support
- Youth Access advice and counselling network
- If you are interested in joining the Carers Forum and making a difference for Carers in North East Lincolnshire contact The Carers’ Support Service 01472 242277, 1 Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HY
- Young Healthwatch North East Lincolnshire useful information for younger people aged 18-25
Health and wellbeing
There are many places you can go and people you can speak to about your emotional wellbeing.
- Support for your family life wellbeing
- Advocacy – Coram Voice (Young Carers) 0303 303 0413 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Childline get help and advice about a wide range of issues
- YoungMinds young people’s mental health charity
- NAViGO Open Minds to support aged 16+, offering a range of therapies aimed at helping you to deal with stress, anxiety or depression
- Samaritans charity aimed at providing emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope or at risk of suicide
- Shout free, confidential, 24/7 text support service
- The Children’s Society national children’s charity
- The HopeLine free confidential chat and other online support resources for topics like depression, anxiety, addiction, self-harm and abuse
Work, money, legal and benefits
- Jobs, careers and training for young people
- The Carers’ Support Service , 01472 242277, 1 Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HY
- Centre 4 provide free local advice
- Citizens Advice North East Lincolnshire
- NHS being a young Carer: your rights
- You Tube definition of next of kin by Steph Tyson
Your views are important to us … if you have any queries, complaints, or compliments around the Carers services in North East Lincolnshire please let us know by contacting The Young Carers Project on 01472 323231.
- Carers Trust – free online courses for Carers
- Help 2 Make Sense – an online tool brought to you by Winston’s Wish, a charity supporting bereaved children and young people
- Hope Again – young people living after loss
- Learn my way – free courses for you to learn digital skills to stay safe and connected
- Mind for better mental health – information and support for young people
- North East Lincolnshire Council’s local offer – helps parents, children and young people find information about specialist and targeted services and activities in NEL
- Rise Above – interesting and useful stuff from the web and beyond to get us all talking about the things that matter to us