Continuing healthcare: Support for carers

A carer is anyone who, usually unpaid, looks after a friend or family member in need of extra help or support with daily living, for example, because of illness, disability or frailty. Integrated Care Boards (ICBs) and councils have a joint responsibility to identify, and work in partnership with, carers. The aim is to support carers to continue their caring role, if they are willing and able to do so.  

When someone is mostly cared for at home, and a carer is an essential part of delivering that care at home, the person’s care coordinator will agree with the carer the level and type of support they will provide. The coordinator will also consider whether the carer is able to care, to make sure the carers’ responsibilities are appropriate and sustainable. The coordinator should identify if it might help the carer to have a carer’s assessment, and refer them for an assessment, with the carer’s consent. For more information on how to ask for a carer’s assessment please see our carers’ portal or visit the Carer’s Support Centre site.

As a carer, who can I contact and what can I do if something goes wrong?

Carers who support someone who has continuing healthcare should have a single point of contact with the Continuing Healthcare Team, so that they have someone to talk to about the care arrangements.  

The cared for person’s care coordinator should work with carers to agree contingency or backup plans, in case the carer is unexpectedly unable to carry on with their caring role. This plan should include information on who to contact for help out of normal office hours.

Contact the Continuing Healthcare Team on:

Telephone: 0300 330 2990


If you need help out of hours, please contact the Single Point of Access on: 01472 256256.

Page last updated: 06 Oct 2023